Friday, January 14, 2011

Chicken Stock for free!

I know you are all jealous I live in Hawaii and think that the weather is sunny 79 everyday, but really, it's not like that ALL the time.

Just most of the time.

Anyone who has lived here long enough can feel the changing of the seasons, no matter how slight. So while we might not be the below zero temps of other parts of America we do have seasons. Or I'm really sensitive, in either case it only takes a drop of a few degrees for me to break out the long sleeve shirts, jeans and occasionally a jacket. And then I get great cravings for soups and stew.

I don't knock the stuff in the can and boxes, actually I have some in my pantry right now. But when I want something really tasty, something really delicious, something that I just can get anywhere else- I have to break out my secret ingredient.

Homemade Chicken Stock

Seriously.

To make everything taste better the secret is to make your own chicken stock. Don't be scared it is really easy. It just adds that extra oomph that makes takes you from ok to OMG! How the hell is that so delicious. And you make it out of nothing... or almost nothing.

Some recipes call for buying a stewing chicken or other various chicken parts. But the cheapest way to make chicken stock is to use a bunch of bones that you thought were going in the garbage. Chicken being the most obvious, but I've also had some duck bones, turkey bones, pork bone and sometimes beef bones. I save my bones in the freezer until I have a bunch then I make stock. So when you have a whole chicken/ turkey carcass, the backbone you cut off to butterfly that chicken/turkey, leftover chicken thigh bones from pulled chicken or some duck bones from Peking Duck, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!  It's still good for something-chicken stock. Stuff it into a storage bag and stash it in the freezer. Its totally free, kind of. You are making something out of nothing. Either way it's totally worth it. I promise.

Also, save those scraps from your herbs; that leftover wood from the rosemary or thyme you picked, the stems of basil, parsley or cilantro that you would normally throw out? DON'T THROW IT AWAY!  It's still good for something- chicken stock. It's freezable too and best of all it goes, still frozen, right into the stockpot. 

I personally make chicken stock in a slow cooker, because then it's cooler to tell everyone you made it in your sleep.

But use the recipe that you find most appropriate.


Chicken Stock
Bones, wingtips and leftovers (chicken, turkey, duck, goose, quail, anything poultry-like)
1 large onion, unpeeled, cut into large chunks
10-15 cloves of garlic, unpeeled, split in half if you so desire
3-4 carrots, unpeeled, broken up into large chunks
6-7 stalks of celery, broken up into large chunks
1-2 bay leaves
8-10 whole peppercorns
leftover herb scraps

In slow cooker:
Take everything above and make it all fit in a slow cooker, make sure the lid will still close.

Fill the container with water to the top
Put on low heat
Get into bed and sleep the night away

Get up in the morning to the smell of chicken goodness.
Strain and reserve stock. Toss the rest.

Cool and refrigerate. After a few hours or overnight scrap off the top layer which should be hardened and yellow. That's the fat, while it might taste good in the proper setting, I throw it away

Use within a week or freeze for anything longer than that. At one time I used the ice cube tray thing but got tired of pouring, popping, storing and washing everyday (I only had 4 trays and needed about 16). Now I just freeze in smallish containers with resealable lids (yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc). Defrost as necessary, or soak the outside and let it slip out in one giant ice cube and pop it into you recipe.

Stovetop method:
Take everything from above and cram it into your biggest pot.

Fill it with water until you just cover the top of the ingredients.
Put on high heat until just boiling. Skim off any bubbly gray scum at the top. Once it hits a boil. turn down the heat to low. Simmer for 6-10 hours

Strain and reserve stock. Toss the rest

Cool and refrigerate. After a few hours or overnight scrap off the top layer which should be hardened and yellow. That's the fat, while it might taste good in the proper setting, I throw it away

Use within a week or freeze for anything longer than that. At one time I used the ice cube tray thing but got tired of pouring, popping, storing and washing everyday (I only had 4 trays and needed about 16). Now I just freeze in smallish containers with resealable lids (yogurt, cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc). Defrost as necessary, or soak the outside and let it slip out in one giant ice cube and pop it into you recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment